GFCF grants to support Covid-19 response
GFCF partners around the world are at the forefront of community responses to Covid-19. They are working around the clock, offering immediate relief to the most vulnerable parts of the community, providing accurate and contextual information on quickly-changing situations, and working with people and across sectors to build bridges and strengthen solidarity. GFCF grantmaking in 2020 will be focused on supporting efforts by members of our global network of community philanthropy partners to respond to Covid-19, both in terms of their immediate response but also over the longer-term as they consider ways to bring about lasting positive change in their communities as they #BuildBackBetter. This page will be updated regularly as grants are made, as will our new Grants Map. All figures are in USD.
East Asia Pacific
- EcoThailand Foundation $9,000: Coordination of community response to effects of Covid-19 on vulnerable groups in Koh Phangan and Koh Samui, and exploration of a longer-term structure for promoting cooperation, solidarity and local philanthropy etc.
- Harmony Platform (China) $30,000: Community philanthropy development including creation of community foundation mutual aid network in response to Covid-19.
Europe and Central Asia
- Arkhangelsk Centre of Social Technologies “Garant” (Russia) $19,950: Mobilizing cross-community response to Covid-19 in short and longer-terms.
- Bardejov Community Foundation (Slovakia) $19,920: To build a stronger and more inclusive Bardejov in the wake of Covid-19.
- Bucharest Community Foundation (Romania) $20,000: Bridging grant to enable BCF to deliver its Covid-19 response.
- Bulgarian Fund for Women $20,000: Supporting women’s community leadership and individual giving in light of Covid-19.
- Covasna Community Foundation (Romania) $20,000: Responding to Covid-19 in Covasna County by expanding programmes around local values and fruit trees.
- FemFund (Poland) $20,000: Resource mobilization – in Poland and overseas – as a strategy for community resilience and mobilizing constituencies for women’s rights.
- Forum for Civic Iniatives – FIQ (Kosovo) $20,000: Continuing FIQ’s work with informal youth groups, particularly in light of Covid-19.
- Foundation Community Donation Fund Sliven (Bulgaria) $19,500: Outreach and support to vulnerable groups most affected by Covid-19.
- Foundation Community Donation Fund – Stara Zagora (Bulgaria) $20,000: To support local civil society in the short and long-term in its response to the effects of Covid-19.
- Foundation Step Forward (Serbia) $16,900: To build connections and foster new relationships between different groups, and to increase solidarity in the Zajecar community post Covid-19.
- Gandjabasar Community Foundation (Azerbaijan) $13,420: To run a small grants programme aiming at supporting local civil society’s response to Covid-19.
- Healthy City Community Foundation (Slovakia) $17,000: Strengthening social inclusion and protecting minority rights in the context of Covid-19.
- Local Community Development Foundation Stip (Macedonia) $19,940: Engaging youth groups to build community philanthropy and solidarity in response to challenges associated with Covid-19.
- Moloda Gromada (Ukraine) $19,000: Using the “Smart Interactions” app to coordinate and support Covid-19 response in the Ukraine.
- Nitra Community Foundation (Slovakia) $20,000: Social inclusion of new communities in the wake of Covid-19.
- Odorheiu Secuiesc Community Foundation (Romania) $20,000: Bridging grant for operational support to OSCF and its Covid-19 response.
- Reconstruction Women’s Fund (Serbia) $20,000: Protecting the rights and well-being of marginalized and vulnerable groups, including rapid response grants, in the context of Covid-19.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Casa Fluminense (Brazil) $20,000: Small grants and other support to grassroots groups and solidarity networks for Covid-19 response in the periphery of Metropolitan Rio de Janeiro.
- ELLAS – Mujeres y Filantropía (Argentina) $19,700: To document the role of grassroots womens groups in Latin America in response to Covid-19.
- Fondo Acción Solidaria A.C. – FASOL (Mexico) $20,000: To document community level responses to Covid-19, including local resource mobilization and solidarity models.
- Guanacaste Community Fund (Costa Rica) $20,000: Working with community-based partners to meet short-term needs against the backdrop of Covid-19, while helping create the basis for a more resilient and sustainable local economy in the longer-term.
- Haiti Community Foundation $20,000: Immediate relief work and public information campaign in the Grand’Anse.
- ICom – Instituto Comunitário Grande Florianópolis (Brazil) $24,040: Strengthening community philanthropy for social justice in Florianópolis by building a donor base, and improving ICom’s grantmaking and capacity building practices aimed at grassroots groups and movements.
- Monteverde Community Fund (Costa Rica) $19,115: Participating in immediate Covid-19 emergency responses aimed at reaching the most vulnerable parts of the community, and supporting efforts towards a diversified, durable local economy longer-term.
Middle East North Africa
- Rawa Creative Palestinian Communities Fund $20,000: Documentation, story-telling and advocacy work aimed at highlighting the Rawa model and experiences of participatory grantmaking, particularly in light of Covid-19.
- Foundation for Social Transformation (India) $20,040: Targeted support (provision of goods and information on rights, entitlements etc.) to informal sector workers in Guwahati; mobilizing local donors to give.
- Keystone Foundation (India) $20,000: Continuation of efforts to explore and support the development of the community foundation concept with Keystone Foundation’s partners, particularly addressing key issues that have emerged during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Sindh Community Foundation (Pakistan) $7,000: Conducting an initial feasibility study for building local giving, and organizing pilot fundraising activities.
- Solidarity Foundation (India) $20,000: Support for immediate and longer-term community-based responses to Covid-19 among marginalized sexual minority groups and sex workers.
- South Asia Women Foundation India $20,000: Document the impacts of Covid-19 on women and trans groups in India to inform awareness-raising and local resource mobilization.
- Tewa (Nepal) $20,000: Small grants to grassroots women’s groups in Nepal to respond to the socio-economic impacts of Covid-19.
- Civil Collective (Uganda) $20,000: Responding to Covid-19 with a particular focus on vulnerable groups, and rebuilding livelihoods in the long-term.
- Community Development Foundation Western Cape (South Africa) $20,000: Support to Covid-19 Relief Fund to target most vulnerable members of community in urban centres, farms and fishing villages of the Western Cape.
- DOCKDA Rural Development Agency (South Africa) $20,000: Flexible support for Covid-19 response.
- Earthrise Trust (South Africa) $15,975: Participatory community asset mapping exercise to lay groundwork for an innovative, long-term and holistic development strategy for the community of Naledi Village.
- Grassroots Development Initiatives Foundation-Kenya $19,990: Responding to effects of Covid-19 and building community resilience through community philanthropy in Tharaka Nithi county.
- Initiative for Community Advancement (South Africa) $16,450: To support the incubation of a community foundation in the Bergrivier municipal area, particularly in the aftermath of Covid-19.
- Initiative Pananetugri pour le Bien-être de la Femme (Burkina Faso) $20,000: Mapping of priorities and needs for organizations focusing on women and girls in Francophone West Africa, to inform the work of the new Pananetugri Fund.
- Kabale Municipality Development Foundation (Uganda) $20,000: Fostering community philanthropy in Kabale Municipality, including for Covid-19 response.
- Social Change Assistance Trust – SCAT (South Africa) $20,000: To support and document community-based partner organizations’ response to Covid-19 lockdown and impacts on social cohesion.
- Twerwaneho Listeners’ Club (Uganda) $20,000: Direct relief, community mobilization, including public information campaign and community philanthropy development.
- West Coast Community Foundation (South Africa) $10,000: Operational and programme support for WCCF’s Covid-19 response in rural communities in the West Coast region of the Western Cape.
- Bürgerstiftung Duisburg (Germany) $20,000: Responding to Covid-19 in Duisburg, with a particular focus on vulnerable groups.
- Bürgerstiftung Stuttgart (Germany) $20,000: Covid-19 response with a specific focus on reaching vulnerable communities.
- Fondazione di Comunità del Canavese (Italy) $20,000: To work with migrants and the elderly to establish new community gardens in Canavese, overcoming isolation post Covid-19 lockdown.
- South Sinai Foundation (U.K.) $19,990: To support alternative income generation activities with and for Bedouin communities, especially women.