The GFCF is looking for a communications and campaigns consultant!
06 Jan 2023
Are you a seasoned communications and campaigns expert interested in helping accelerate efforts to #ShiftThePower in philanthropy and development aid? Come and work with us!
The Global Fund for Community Foundations (GFCF) is seeking a consultant to work with us for up to six months to strengthen and help implement a communications and campaigns strategy for the GFCF (the organization) and #ShiftThePower (the movement) – the two are separate but connected. The ideal candidate will have experience in communications, advocacy and campaigns and is interested in approaching efforts to #ShiftThePower from the demand-side of the system. This may be achieved by, on the one hand, strengthening the ability of local actors and their networks to organize, advocate and make the case for new and emergent ways of “deciding and doing” in community driven development and, on the other, organizing collective efforts to demand and help guide / direct changes in practices, approaches and perspectives among donors and INGOs (the “supply side”). We are initially offering a six-month consultancy but there may be the option to extend the role, or for it to turn into something more permanent.
The successful candidate will:
- Have experience working with a wide range of stakeholders from across civil society, philanthropy and development aid. Specific experience in organizing and executing advocacy campaigns is an asset.
- Be committed to securing greater voice and influence for local level actors in global policy platforms and debates.
- Be comfortable working across cultures with a globally-oriented organization.
- Be a self-starter, able to work independently and to take initiative.
Scope of work
An exact scope of work will be agreed between the consultant and the GFCF on the basis of an initial assessment of current communications strategy and tools, plans and aspirations for 2023. We envisage that at least one global campaign will be conducted during the six-month period.
The assignment will be conducted remotely and will include regular engagement with GFCF staff, partners and allies. Attendance at relevant GFCF / #ShiftThePower events (online / in person) as appropriate.
The initial engagement will be for a six-month period, on the basis of two days a week (approximately).
Interested candidates are requested to submit a proposal to GFCF Executive Director Jenny Hodgson (firstname.lastname@example.org) including the following:
- Cover letter detailing interest in the opportunity and an understanding of the work of the GFCF and the aspirations of the #ShiftThePower movement;
- Examples of similar work undertaken;
- Initial thoughts as to how this work may be approached (based on review of publicly available materials, GFCF and #ShiftThePower websites, social media channels etc.);
- Contact information for two references (ideally, with experience or knowledge of applicant’s role in similar types of assignments);
- An indicative financial proposal including daily rate and other expenses.
Serious applicants are welcome to send questions, if any, for clarification. The GFCF is committed to diversity and gender equality and we strongly encourage applicants from the Global South and female candidates to apply. Applications should be received by close of business on 10 February 2023. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for a follow-up conversation.
Relevant background reading