Call for new members to join the GFCF board
22 Nov 2021
The GFCF board is inviting expressions of interest from individuals who feel they can make a positive contribution to the governance and overall direction of the GFCF. Over 2022, it is expected that two new members will join the board, one of whom will act in the position of Treasurer.
About the GFCF board
The GFCF board is currently made up of seven individuals from four continents. Board members have a range of experience in philanthropy, development, gender and human rights, institutional leadership and organizational development. The role of the board is to guide the strategic direction of the organization and to provide financial oversight. The board also approves the GFCF’s annual work plan and budget.
Who should apply?
We are looking for board members who:
- Are committed to the GFCF vision and our purpose of building the institutional capacity of community philanthropy organizations worldwide to mobilize resources for justice, equity and rights.
- Have experience working in community philanthropy, a deep knowledge of or appreciation for people-led development and/or are familiar with ongoing debates around #ShiftThePower.
- Possess expertise in organizational development.
- Have relevant experience in advocacy or activism.
- Are able to represent the GFCF to broader audiences, and who may be in a position to help us build the reach and influence of our network.
Specific to the open Treasurer position
- Expertise in leading a board’s role around financial oversight/stewardship.
For both open positions, a strong preference will be given to applicants from the Global South and/or individuals that represent marginalized voices or groups not typically represented on global boards.
Details on GFCF board terms
- Board terms are three years and board members can serve up to three consecutive terms.
- There are two GFCF board meetings per year, usually around March and September. Pre-pandemic, one meeting was typically held in-person, while the other was online.
- The GFCF is in a position to cover travel costs to attend board meetings, if this is required by a board member.
- Board positions are not remunerated.
Process for expressing interest
- Please submit a CV and short cover letter (no more than one-page) outlining your motivations for joining the GFCF board, as well as any relevant experiences or attributes that you think may be valuable. This should be submitted to GFCF Executive Director Jenny Hodgson (email@example.com) by no later than 31st January 2022.
- Expressions of interest for the Treasurer position are especially encouraged. Please note explicitly if you are applying for this role.
- The GFCF Nominations Committee, a sub-set of current GFCF board members, will review all expressions of interest in consultation with the wider GFCF board and management.
- Short-listed candidates will be contacted after the March 2022 GFCF board meeting.